Tuesday, August 4, 2009

ILA Love Languages


Recently City Impact welcomed Tasha to the team as the new assessments coordinator, and I thought it was about time I stopped in to see how things were going in her department. Now, if you are like me you may not know exactly what the assessments coordinator does. As I began to speak with Tasha I couldn't have been more excited to learn about what she was currently assessing.

Currently, Tasha is working with students one-on-one and having them take a test from the book The five Love Languages of Teenagers by Gary Chapman. The test the students are taking helps them identify their top Love Languages and in turn helps us better fit the need of these students. Love Languages are ways the student feels cared about and valued. For Example, some students feel loved by receiving gifts, while others need a hug or high five, some feel special when someone serves them, or by simple words of encouragement.

After talking with Tasha a bit more about this test she pointed out that in most of the tests she has noticed that "acts of service" is in the top three of most students love languages. She went on to tell me that after the student takes the test, she spends time explaining to them what those love languages mean because she does not want the students to feel like they are just taking a test, but really feel like there is a reason behind it.

Tasha expressed to me that she feels as though a big part of the students ranking "acts of service" in their top three love languages has to do with their participation in ILA. Tasha plans to send a copy to all parents of students who have taken the test, because she feels it is important for them to know how they can better love their child. We also plan to distribute each student’s love languages to their ILA classroom & small group leaders.

Having read Gary Chapman's The five Love Languages myself I know how helpful it was to me to know what my love languages were, I think that is why I was so excited to see that City Impact was taking the time to assess the love languages of the students.

No comments: